Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Flipping Out

I mentioned flipping in my last blog post, thinking I had found this incredible new idea for ed tech to share with my grad school compatriots. The basic idea: instead of sitting through lecture in class and doing work at home, students watch the lecture at home and come to class to do hands-on work with the teacher. I even found a guy explaining the differences between flipped and traditional classrooms:
All of this in my free time, until I checked the readings for my next Ed Tech class and realized that, serendipitously, I had already completed most of them. In fact, this awesome, emphatic dude in the video above, Jon Thomas-Palmer, someone I began to admire and envy for his creativity, energy, and enthusiasm for his content, came to speak to our class about flipping last week. I was a little starstruck; that doesn't happen often for me, someone who, in his teenage years, worked with Los Angeles VIPs at a concert venue. (Read: I escorted celebrities like Paris Hilton and Larry David [sadly not together] to their seats.)

Let's make this clear: I was giddy (flipping out, you could say) about meeting a kickass educator. Looks like I made the right career decision.

After watching Jon in his element and seeing how he creates these awesome videos (it takes A LOT of time), it was difficult for me to envision how I could flip a social studies classroom. Physics seems like a subject that requires lots of lecture, with a teacher modeling how to work through various types of problems on the board, and then breaking up the lectures with labs. In his flipped class, students came into class with the basic knowledge on how to work through the types of problems for that day and could immediately start to practice with the teacher's guidance. He front-loads the "I do" and begins class with the "We do."

The most common question for Jon was, "How do you know if a student hasn't watched the lecture?" Jon simply replied, "You'll know." My peers pushed back, "Yes, but how can you ensure that all students watch the videos?" He said, "You can't. Can you ensure all students do homework? No." But during his presentation, I began to interpret "flipping" as something far more general than watching Youtube videos at home. It's more that teachers expect students to come in to class with base knowledge. It's more than incorporating tech into the classroom: it's flipping teacher expectations. Instead of expecting students to listen, take diligent notes, etc., you are expecting them to take responsibility for their learning outside of class and be ready to be active during class.

While I'm still unsure how this would look in my classroom, I'm going to let my ideas marinate. It's not something to just try; flipping requires teachers to be more creative with class time. Otherwise, I may end up looking like this guy.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the idea of coming to the classroom with a base knowledge can really help make the classroom a really productive and more student-centered place. I had a Portuguese 1 professor in college who I think fit a sort of equivalent to this model in a WL classroom. After day one she never spoke in English and she used an immersion method. Outside of class, we were assigned reading from a textbook that explained grammar structures and had vocabulary with translations along the way, this really helped scaffold for me what I was starting to hear and say in class. If we came to class prepared, it was much easier to understand what the teacher was saying and I can tell you that I learned sooo much that semester.
    I hope that trying our best and showing the students we care will help motivate the students (at least that's what Jon led me to believe was possible). It doesn't necessarily have to be through flipping, but I think that many kids will be able to tell when you are putting in your best effort for them and will work hard for you. I hope that one thing I will get out of this whole experience is the confidence and tools I need to give students more responsibility for their own learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To build on your ideas, Griffin, I noticed that on Jon's Flipping Physics website, most of his "lessons" that students watch are under 10 minutes. The TED Ed site has similarly short video clips for students to watch. This isn't to say that students would only watch one video for homework, but it seems effective to have students process information in small chunks rather than listen to a teacher or even an expert in a video talk for 40 full minutes.

    I agree with Claire that part of the success or appeal of the flipped classroom is just re-conceiving how a class is taught. To consider that it's better for students to engage in interactive/experiential learning, to deliberate over how many minutes of video students can focus on are important issues for teachers to think about. The "flipped classroom" forces teachers to question what they do and why they do it as they try on a this model.

    Finally, the way that Ted Ed uses questions to help students process a video seems more effective than having students watch a video without guiding them through it in any way.

    Thanks for getting my brain moving! I've definitely got "flipping" on the mind,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Griffin, I just want to add that I thought the way that you reframed the core idea of the flipped classroom at the end of your post was especially apt..."flipped teacher expectations." In that sense, what's going on here, in this specific instance, is about students watching videos outside of class, but it could just as easily involve some other way of engaging with material. Although Jon is a very impressive guy, and his videos are stunning, the power here ultimately resides with possibilities Jon's work suggests for rethinking the relationship of teacher and students to the enterprise of teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jeff. I really like your interpretation of a more generalized view of the concept of "Flipping". I also like Flipping with Kirch's blog post about flipping: goo.gl/EJMzAM

    She references The Flipped Learning Network's definition of Flipping: "Flipped Learning occurs when direct instruction is moved from the group teaching space to the individual learning environment."

    There is less emphasis there on "in class" vs. "at home", which I think is important. She also talks about using videos to basically internally flip a class rather than externally. This provides differentiation for students and allows time for the teacher to interact individually with students, however, it doesn't require that students watch the videos at home, which I know was a concern of your colleagues.

    Lastly, I don't know if I have ever been in the same paragraph as Paris Hilton and I have mixed feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete